Nairobi News

News

Waititu seeks out of court deal in incitement case

Former Embakasi MP Ferdinand Waititu has entered into an out of court agreement with complainants in a case which he has been charged with incitement to violence, a court heard on Wednesday.

National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) told the court that the agreement between the parties has been entered in order to put the matter to rest.

Senior principal magistrate Lucy Mbugua heard that NCIC has written a letter to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and is waiting for his response.

Prosecuting Counsel Moses Omirera confirmed receipt of the letter, saying it had been delivered on Wednesday morning.

Mr Omirera had told the court that there was one witness present but a DVD they were to rely on was not in court and therefore he could not proceed with the hearing of the case.

“Had we been having the DVD we could have proceeded (with the hearing),” Mr Omirera told the court.

Mr Waititu allegedly uttered words that were calculated to bring violence to members of the Maasai community living and working in Kayole.

The former MP also allegedly while addressing members of the public uttered words that were calculated to stir ethnic hatred.

The offences were committed on September 24 2012 at Kayole area Nairobi.

Mr Waititu at a past news conference at the court precinct’s said he had apologized to the Maasai community.