Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Uhuru puts Ngilu, Swazuri on the spot over Lang’ata chaos

President Uhuru Kenyatta has blamed his Lands Secretary Charity Ngilu and National Lands Commission chairman Muhammad Swazuri for the row over the grabbed playground at Lang’ata Road Primary School.

Mr Kenyatta on Tuesday said the two would be called to account for their actions and disciplinary measures taken thereafter.

“If the Minister and Swazuri knew that the Lang’ata school playground was grabbed, what did they do? They have more to answer than the police,” said Mr Kenyatta.

He made the remarks during the launch of Kenya’s Foreign policy and Kenya Diapsora policy.

He termed as deplorable how anti-police handled the protest by school children.

On Friday, Mr Swazuri visited the playground and declared that it belonged to the school.

The NLC chairman said that the commission, together with the county government, will ensure the perimeter wall built around the playground is demolished before schools reopen. This promise was never fulfilled.

POLICE BRUTALITY

Ms Ngilu, at a different function in Mombasa on Monday, had also stated that if indeed the playground had been grabbed by a private developer, it would be reverted to the school.

Lang’ata Road Primary School pupils on Monday braved police brutality to bring down the wall that had blocked off their playground.

On Tuesday morning, Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery visited the school and apologized to the pupils, stating that the rest of the remnants of the wall would be brought down in 48 hours and the debris cleared.

Investigations into the ownership of the land and the issuance of title deeds to a private developer Airport View Housing Ltd are ongoing.