Nairobi News

HustleNews

Troubled KQ to sack 38 employees in second phase of downsizing

Kenya Airways will sack 38 members of staff in the second phase of downsizing that will start Tuesday.

The troubled airline said the move comes after the first phase that saw 80 staff members affected in July last year.

“After implementation of Phase 1 of the restructuring process, we continued looking for opportunities for productivity and efficiency gains as well as upskilling within the business. After a lot of consultation the next phase of the process is now ready to be rolled out. There is never a perfect timing for such actions, and we will ensure that the process is handled within the values of our Airline,” said Group Managing Director & CEO Mbuvi Ngunze.

The company added that the exercise will be done in accordance to the labour laws, Collective Bargaining Agreements and individual staffs’ contracts.

“The Management remains cognizant that this is a difficult period for Kenya Airways family and employee assistance will be available for affected staff,” read the statement in part.

The changes are in line with the airline’s plan to implement its turnaround strategy dubbed ‘Operation Pride’ which focuses on; closing the profitability gap, refocusing the business model as well as optimizing the capital structure of the company.