Nairobi News

Must ReadNews

Three people confirmed dead in Langata night fire

Three people have been confirmed dead as a result of the Sunday night fire at Kijiji area near Southlands, Langata.

National Disaster Management Unit Deputy Director Pius Masai said three bodies had been recovered from the debris and that the search was still ongoing.

“We appeal for well-wishers to bring food and non-food items to the affected families,” Masai said.

Residents said the fire started at 8pm and spread fast, leaving hundreds homeless.

Some residents could not find their children in the confusion that followed the fire outbreak.

Several houses, shops and entertainment joints were destroyed.

At 6am on Monday, the Kenya Red Cross said the fire had been contained.

Police said investigations are ongoing to establish the cause of the fire.