Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Students’ illness linked to food poisoning at Pangani girls

An incident that left more than 20 students at a school in Nairobi hospitalised last week was as a result of food poisoning, an official has said.

Basic Education director-general Leah Rotich said a team of ministry officials had visited Pangani Girls High School to establish the cause of the problem saying preliminary investigations had revealed that it was food poisoning.

“We will only be able to give you more details on the issue once we are done with our investigations since we have taken the food for further tests in government laboratories,” said Mrs Rotich.

However, she declined to disclose if the students have been discharged from hospital saying she was yet to get full report on the incident.

However, parents who spoke to Nairobi News said more than 100 students were affected.

“It is sad that the incident was kept a top secret by the school management. Students were being treated in hospitals and discharged without their parents being informed. Some parents have medical cover for their children and it would have been prudent to inform them,” lamented a parent at the school.