Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Sonko: I’m not behind planned heckling of Peter Kenneth

Nairobi Senator, Mike Sonko, has come out to dissociate himself from a planned heckling of former Gatanga MP Peter Kenneth at an event on Sunday where the former presidential aspirant is expected to announce his bid for Nairobi gubernatorial seat.

Through a press statement that was sent to media houses on Sunday, Mr Sonko said he had nothing to do with the planned heckling of Mr Kenneth while at the same time adding that he welcomed him and that he is ready to work with him.

“I wish to dissociate myself with the planned activity since I am ready for competition in Jubilee Party for the Nairobi Governor’s seat race. I am also appealing to all Nairobi residents to welcome and accommodate other aspirants who will declare their bid for the Nairobi Governor’s seat since our ultimate goal as Jubilee Party is to win the seat and make Nairobi better again,” Sonko said in his statement.

PARTY NOMINATIONS

“I am ready to work with the former Gatanga MP if he joins Jubilee Party and participate in the free and fair Jubilee party nominations,” he added.

Mr Kenneth’s event will be held at Nairobi’s Eastleigh area, near Mulango kubwa.

Although, Mr Kenneth, who ran for the presidency during the 2013 General Elections, is yet to publicly declare his interest in the Nairobi gubernatorial election, speculation has been rife that he intends to do so.

He has even been fronted for the position by some users on social media with the hashtag #IwantPK4Nairobi trending for about week early last month.

Within hours after it first appeared, the hashtag had been shared and retweeted thousands of times to become the number one trending hashtag in Kenya.

Youths in Muranga have also on record for asking the former legislator to consider running for governor in the county.