Six things to know about G.G Kariuki
Laikipia Senator Godfrey Gitahi (GG) Kariuki died at the age of 78 on Friday morning after a long illness.
His Senate colleagues who were in Mombasa when the news broke observed a minute of silence in his honor.
Here are some things to know about the oldest member of the senate.
1. His colleagues in Senate had nicknamed him Senator 001, not because his county code is 001, but because he was the oldest in the House.
2. He became an MP aged 23 years in the first parliament after independence, making him the only serving lawmaker who served the country’s first parliament.
3. He left secondary school in 1952 after education in the country was interrupted by the state of emergency and he joined the struggle for independence.
4. He later went back to school and in 2015 he graduated with a PhD in International Studies from the University of Nairobi aged 76.
5. He wrote an autobiography detailing his political career titled Illusion of Power: Fifty Years in Kenya Politics.
6. He lost the Jubilee nominations to John Kinyua who will be vying to represent the county in Senate.