Six of 14 killed in Mandera terror attack were from Nyeri
Nyeri county was plunged into mourning again after it emerged that six of the 14 men killed in the Mandera terror attack early Tuesday were from Chaka area in the county.
This is the second time in less than a year that the county has lost its sons to terrorism after 18 others, who had gone to earn a living in quarries in the Northeastern Kenya County, were shot by suspected Al Shabaab militia last December.
Following reports of the killings, villagers gathered in six homes in Chaka and Thegu locations from which the six men aged 25 to 40 hailed.
Late last year, the area lost 18 men who were among 36 killed in a quarry in Mandera in a dawn shooting that horrified the nation.
At Gathathini village, villagers converged at the home of 27-year old Charles Macharia who succumbed to gunshot wounds in hospital at 6am following the Tuesday attack.
Others reported killed and whose families had been notified by the provincial administration included Peter Warui, Samuel Kinyua, Zacharia Wambugu, Charles Wambugu, Charles Mathenge and Joseph Karumba Wahome.
A family friend, Agnes Gathoni, told the media that Macharia had been in Mandera for on and a half months when he met his death.
She urged the government to help local youth find alternative livelihoods nearer home so that they do not have to venture to areas where their lives are in danger.
James Mwangi Gatugi, who works in the Mandera quarries and who escaped the attack because he had travelled to Chaka to see his family, said the attack was puzzling because security officers had been patrolling the area following the attack last year.
He said his colleagues had told him on phone that the attackers first broke the door with a grenade blast before entering and spraying his colleagues with bullets.
Kieni East Deputy County Commissioner James Chacha visited the affected families to condole with them and assured them of government support.