Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Police probe Kobia over firearm

Police are investigating how controversial businessman Paul Kobia acquired the car he abandoned in Lang’ata and the shotgun found inside.

Director of Criminal Investigations Ndegwa Muhoro on Friday said detectives had established that the car and the gun were not registered in his name.

“Mr Kobia appears mentally disturbed. We also want to know how he got the firearm,” Mr Muhoro said.

The decision to charge him would be arrived at after investigations are complete.

Earlier, police spokesperson Zipporah Mboroki said they were yet to establish the owners of the car and gun.

“We took details of the gun to the Central Firearms Bureau and police stations but the official ownership has not been established,” she said.

Mr Kobia on Wednesday last week abandoned the car on Mai Mahiu Road in Lang’ata after he became violent. He took a taxi to his Runda residence.

Police towed the car to the station and found an Italian-made Benelli Armi Urbino shotgun with four bullets.


The vehicle is registered in the name of a George Wasike. It had a bullet hole on its left side.

Ms Mboroki said the businessman had not recorded a statement as he was still at Chiromo Lane Medical Centre.

Mr Kobia’s licensed firearm, a Browning pistol, was confiscated on July 5 last year after he shot and killed a man in Parklands.

The police spokesperson said investigations into the fatal shooting had not been finalised as the file had been forwarded to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions for directions.

A post-mortem examination on the body of the man killed by Mr Kobia established that he was shot in the face and chest at close range.

In some of the photos posted by Mr Kobia in his Facebook and Twitter pages, the businessman is seen with the same car and a shotgun resembling the one found in the vehicle.

Mr Kobia was last week arrested near Village Market after he started shouting that he knew the circumstances under which former Prime Minister Raila Odinga’s son  Fidel died.

He was taken to Gigiri Police Station before he was later transferred to the Aga Khan Hospital.

Both the acting Inspector General of Police and Mr Kobia himself have denied such reports, only saying that he was ‘shouting incoherently and acting violently.’