Police break protest by Sonko Rescue Team – PHOTOS
A protest by Sonko Rescue Team members against a media house which reported that they had not been paid for eight months was on Wednesday broken up by police.
Led by their chairman Morris Mutua and chief officer Joab Ogolla, they marched towards Royal Media Services offices, off Dennis Pritt Road, but were dispersed at the Hurlingham roundabout.
Citizen Digital reported on Tuesday that 120 of the youths had camped outside City Hall demanding payment from Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko.
Mr Sonko immediately denied the claim.
“We were marching to Citizen to ask them the source of a fake story they ran on Tuesday,” said Mr Mutua.
“When we were just past the roundabout at the junction of Valley Road and the road heading to Yaya centre, we were teargassed by the police who demanded for a permit which we did not have,” he added.
On Tuesday Governor Sonko had refuted the claims terming them as ‘far-fetched and obviously fake news’.
He explained that the team has no permanent staff and that the 4, 000 volunteers are only paid allowances which had been fully paid.
“I want to set the record straight that Sonko Rescue Team has no permanent staff but over 4, 000 volunteers who do not earn a salary but allowances. The volunteers are paid on a weekly/daily basis and we have documentary evidence of all payments,” Sonko said.