Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

NTSA lifts ban on Embassava Sacco as matatus withdraw strike threat

The National Transport and Safety Authority on Tuesday lifted the ban it slapped on all Embassava Sacco matatus last week.

The authority and the Sacco’s officials held a day-long meeting that ended with the lifting of the ban.

The sacco was suspended last week after one of its matatu was involved in an accident along Jogoo road that left one passenger dead.

Residents in Embakasi, Pipeline, Donholm and Fedha estates where the sacco operates had to contend with hiked fares and lack of enough matatus during the period of the ban.

Embassava Sacco operates 273 vehicles.

STRIKE CALLED OFF

The Matatu Welfare Association has also called of its strike planned for Wednesday after what officials termed as a successful meeting with Transport Permanent Secretary John Mosonik.

“Our issues will be sorted out and we will be at work as usual,” said association Chairman Dickson Mbugua.

The association had announced the planned strike last week to protest against the ban on Embassava Sacco.

Mr Mbugua said that imposition of a blanket ban on an entire Sacco when one vehicle commits an offence is unfair and should be scrapped.