A 20-year-old woman who claimed she was abducted last year has been charged with giving false information about her kidnapping and miscarriage.
Saida Abdulahman Baraka and her husband Mohamed Abdulahman were arraigned in court on Tuesday and charged with giving false information to the police.
Ms Baraka is accused of lying to Dr Nafsa Mohamed at Coast Provincial General Hospital(CPGH) that she was eight months pregnant and that she suffered miscarriage in the hands of her abductors on September 20, 2018.
According to the police, the woman knew the information she had provided to the health provider was false, intending thereby to cause Dr Mohamed to record medical examination report in her favour.
The woman was charged after medical report from CPGH confirmed that she cannot conceive and that she had had a miscarriage in March.
This contradicted the information she had given to the police that she had been eight months pregnant in September when she was abducted and dropped in Nairobi.
The woman claimed her abductors waylaid her and kidnapped her while on her way to board a Malindi-bound matatu at Buxton in Mombasa.
The suspect was to connect to Lamu for a midday flight from Malindi International Airport when she was allegedly kidnapped by six women.
According to her earlier report to detectives, the abductors drugged her before getting rid of the pregnancy. She realized she was no longer pregnant after regaining consciousness.
ESCAPED FROM ABDUCTORS
The suspect told the investigators that she had escaped from abductors in a dark room where she had been detained and ran for safety. She said she was rescued by a good Samaritan who in turn contacted her family in Nairobi.
The woman’s husband Abdulahman was also charged with lying to the police that his pregnant wife had been abducted.
The suspect is accused of informing Police Constable Cyrus Mbugua that his wife went missing after she had informed her mother Hadija Bwana that she was taking a flight to Lamu county.
According to the detectives, the suspect knew or believed that the information he had given was false, intending thereby to cause the said police officer to activate police operations in search of the victim, which he ought not to have done.
The suspects denied the offences when they appeared before Resident Magistrate Christine Ogweno.
Through lawyer Khalid Salim they asked to be granted lenient bond saying they are not a flight risk and have permanent place of abode.
“The suspects voluntarily came to court after they were granted Sh10,000 police bond, this is a demonstration that they cannot jump bail. They are ready to attend court anytime they are required to do so,” he said
Mr Khalid said the charges were minor and that primary witnesses being police officers, there is no apprehension the suspects might interfere with witnesses.
The suspects were released on a Sh100,000 bond each with one surety of a similar amount.
The case will be mentioned on January 24.