Wasafi dominates Tanzanian artistes’ popularity rankings
Artistes signed up to Wasafi Baby Classic record label have dominated the latest top 10 listing of the most popular Tanzanian artistes released by Research 8020 Group.
In the listing, Wasafi artistes occupy seven places in the top 10 rankings.
No prizes for guessing the most popular of them all – the one and only Diamond Platnumz, who is the founder and owner of the music stable.
This despite a ban imposed on Diamond and his Wasafi stable mate Rayvanny by the Tanzanian music regulatory board, Basata, for breaching community guidelines.
Rayvanny is placed third in the listing with his popular track Kwetu, one place behind Harmonize, also of Wasafi, with the Kenyan all-time favourite Kwangwaru.
Also in the top 10, at position four, is Diamond’s biggest rival Alikiba with his hit Mwana.
While the Kenyan top 10 ranking was shared equally between secular and gospel artistes, there is no single gospel artiste in the Tanzanian top 10 list.
Bongo tracks, particularly Wasafi hits, have a huge following here in Kenya for their gold standard in content and video production.
Here is the top 10 list:
10. Navy Kenzo – Secular – Katika
9. Darasa – Secular – Muziki
8. Rich Mavoko – Secular – Ibaki Stori
7. Yamoto Band – Secular – Nitakupwelepe
6. Mbosso – Secular – Jibebe
5. Aslay – Secular – Muhudumu
4. Alikiba – Secular – Mwana
3. Rayvanny – Secular – Kwetu
2. Harmonize – Secular – Kwangaru
1. Diamond Platnumz – Secular – Nana