Sonko threatens to expose and blacklist rogue contractors
Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has threatened to expose and blacklist rogue contractors who have been fleecing the county millions without completing their projects.
To that end, Governor Sonko has called on the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) to help unearth the shady contractors and in the process help the county avoid engaging them in the future.
Without naming any of the said contractors, the City Hall boss warned that his administration will soon blacklisting contractors who fail to meet deadlines and standards set by City Hall.
“I want to warn those rogue contractors who fail to finish their jobs despite their dues getting cleared. Your days are numbered. I want DCI to investigate such cases and ensure the rogue contractors are nabbed and blacklisted,” Mr Sonko said on Sunday during the official opening of Ole Sangale Road in Nairobi’s Madaraka Estate.
Governor Sonko also stated that his administration has so far constructed 91 roads in Nairobi City, totaling to 89 kilometers of road since he assumed office in August 2017.
On his part, Nairobi County Roads, Transport and Infrastructure executive Mr Hitan Majevdia, who accompanied the governor, said that in the next financial year, the county will embark on the rehabilitation of all roads in poor state across the 85 wards in the capital city.
“We will ensure that a budget is set aside in the 2019/2020 financial year towards the programme. We have done the best so far but we promise to do even more going forward, ” said Mr Majevdia.