Nairobi News

Also FeaturedWhat's Hot

Sonko begs City Hall staff to return to work, but they’ll have none it – PHOTOS


Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has assured striking county staff that his administration is ready to honour a deal signed by the two parties.

This comes after the workers downed their tools Tuesday morning to protest delay by the county to implement a Collective Bargaining Agreement signed last year.

Governor Sonko said that the CBA will be implemented as agreed, adding that the deal was to take effect as from January this year, but due to unforeseen issues, it has been forced to delay.

PHOTO | COLLINS OMULO

“I want to appeal to the Nairobi County staff to go back to work because all their issues are being addressed. We are in consultations with all the relevant offices, including the Salaries and Remuneration Commission to see that this CBA is implemented,” said Sonko.

If fully implemented, the 13,000 county workers would get salary increment of between 15 to 28 per cent.

PHOTO | COLLINS OMULO

“I do not oppose or disagree with their quest for good salaries. However, we all need to address this issue together in a dialogue,” said the Governor.

Kenya County Government Worklers Union national Secretary General  Roba Duba said the workers will remain on strike until the CBA is implemented.