TERROR: Three surrender as parents insist suspects have reformed
Three suspects in the list of most wanted terror suspects on Monday surrendered to police in Isiolo County, their parents claiming they were innocent and in danger.
They are Abdi Ali Kanchora, Boru Abdi Bidu and Ramadhan Wario Bonaya (alias Rasho).
Despite the surrender, the suspects’ parents said cases involving their children had been ongoing and that they had been cooperating with police, so they sought to know why their names were in the list.
The parents from Tulloroba in Isiolo took their complaint to the deputy county commissioner’s office following the release of the list by the National Police Service.
They said they were shocked when they saw their children’s names in the media on Sunday night yet they had been willing to take them to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations and the Anti-Terror Police Unit for interrogation.
Mr Abdi Bidu, father of Mr Bidu, explained that the three had attempted to cross over to Somalia in 2017 but were intercepted.
He said their cases were ongoing but that they had been freed on bond.
The parents said the suspects are now boda boda operators in Isiolo town and that they reformed and were giving information to the government.
Mr Hussein Wario, Mr Bonaya’s brother, asked the government to assure them of the security of the three. He said his brother was arrested while watching a soccer match in a hall in Isiolo town three years ago.
The Isiolo Parents Association, whose chairman accompanied the parents to the deputy county commissioner’s office, questioned the government’s motive in releasing the list as the cases had not been concluded.