Nairobi county on Tuesday afternoon completed the demolition of illegal structures at Mutindwa market.
The demolitions came a month after a notice had been issued for traders to vacate the area that stood on road reserves, and less than three metres from the railway.
The notice which was issued on 19 July, by the Secretary, National Buildings Inspectorate an Chairman, Multi-Sectoral Committee on Unsafe Structures Mr Moses A. Nyakiongora, instructed those on the said land to vacate it or risk being forcefully removed at the trespassers’ cost.
According to the notice, other informal settlements that face imminent demolitions include, Makongeni, Accra, Ngara, Mbotela, Dandora Kenya Power and Kenya Railways reserves in Kaloleni among others.
“The notice is hereby issued to all such persons living and or operating along the said reserve to voluntarily move out of the land before the above date,” the notice read in part.
Last month Nairobi county officials descended on Buru Buru shopping centre with bulldozer’s and demolished illegal structures on the roadside but they again returned with their wares within hours of the demolition.
The operation had also extended to the nearby Mutindwa market where traders found their demolished structures strewn all over.
A week before more than 300 traders in Fedha estate were affected after more than 100 structures were brought down by city askaris.
The demolitions are part of ongoing operations by Nairobi County to get rid of illegal structures along roads and footpaths. They were supervised by armed police officers and there was no resistance from the affected traders.
Nairobi Chief Operations Officer Peter Mbaya is on record for saying that the exercise will be extended to Taj Mall area, Embakasi East village, and Manyanja Road.