Nairobi set for multi-million shillings waste management project
By HILARY KIMUYU
Nairobi County Governor Dr Evans Kidero on Thursday announced that the county government has set Sh200 million to refurbish roads leading to Dandora dumpsite.
The governor also announced that the county government will be spending Sh1 million daily for the next 45 days to address the garbage menace in the city.
At the same time, the environment chief officer, Leah Oyake, has resigned following the garbage collection scandal at City Hall.
“I am resigning as a result of frustrations in my department. There have been individuals who have been plotting for my downfall and I find that I have no other choice but to step aside,” she said.
The county environment chief officer was forced out of office as a result of what was seen as negligence in cleaning up the city.
Speaking while on a tour of the dumpsite, Dr Kidero cited corruption as the main challenge in collecting garbage. He also urged Nairobi residents to embrace cleanliness and responsible littering.
“I would like to assure the youths who work in the dumpsite area that we will not allow anyone to interfere with their source of income nor harass them into moving elsewhere as the site serves as a resource center for the youth in this area,” he said.
City Hall has for the time being contracted the National Youth Service to assist with garbage collection within the city.
Dr Kidero explained that the money is to be spent under a performance contract basis following an agreement with the NYS.
Last month, Nairobi City County Executive for Environment Evans Ondieki admitted that the Dandora dumpsite is no longer accessible due to poor roads and cartels, which have been demanding money from private garbage collection firms.