Muchai’s ‘killer’ to be taken to court after arrest in Kiambu
A man in his early 20s will be presented in court on Friday in connection with last Saturday’s killing of Kabete MP George Muchai and his aides.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery said investigators are “in hot pursuit” of the man’s accomplices.
“Investigators have covered significant ground and made good progress. In this regard, one suspect will be appearing in court tomorrow to face charges related to the murder,” he said.
A gunman shot Mr Muchai, his driver and two bodyguards dead on Kenyatta Avenue at 3am.
Two other men snatched a bodyguard’s pistol and “an item that looked like a box” and sped off.
Mr Nkaissery linked the killer gang to two carjackings hours earlier.
“Investigators have been able to piece together events leading to the murder of the four. We now know the killers carjacked a driver in Kangemi on Friday night at about 10pm and an hour later, the same group carjacked another vehicle, a Toyota Spacio, with two women in Wangige. The Spacio was used at the time of the murder,” he said.
ARRESTED IN KIAMBU
This is the car that was recovered by police in Kikuyu the following day.
“As a result of leads obtained so far from suspects and witnesses, investigators are in hot pursuit of other suspects. I urge you all to be patient and allow us to complete investigations, bearing in mind there are details we cannot divulge to the public at this point as this might jeopardise investigations,” said the CS.
We have established that the suspect was arrested in Kiambu Town with phones stolen during the carjackings.
Mr Muchai’s wife and family were travelling in a different car when the killings occurred.
Besides interrogating witnesses, officers at the Directorate of Criminal Investigations also viewed CCTV footage from several buildings around the city.