Medics injured as boda boda riders disrupt demonstration
Two clinical officers were injured and personal effects worth thousands of shillings stolen when a gang of youths on motorcycles attacked them and dispersed their peaceful protest in Embu town on Wednesday afternoon.
They were part of tens of health professionals who were demonstrating outside county government offices when the youth attacked them and started beating them up.
The youths who were on motorbikes snatched three mobile phones, money and vuvuzelas from the clinical officers.
Health officials representative Humprey Ndwiga, said they had just concluded their protest when the boda boda riders armed with stones and crude weapons descended on them and started beating them.
The attack occurred outside the main entrance to county government headquarters, which houses Governor Martin Wambora’s office. Mr Wambora had on Monday promised to address the health workers on Wednesday.
Ms Jecinta Rwamba, a clinical officer, said he lost a mobile phone valued at Sh5,000, a vuvuzela and Sh300.
Addressing the press at Embu police station, the health workers vowed to continue with the strike.
The health workers had boycotted work and were protesting the government’s failure to pay them their risk and call allowances.
Mr Ndwiga said the attack caught them by surprise and they took to their heels in different directions with some rushing to the nearby police station to seek refuge.
“We suspect county government operatives were behind the attack. We have been holding demonstrations for several days and have never been attacked until today. The attack will not kill our spirit to demand for our rightful allowances,” he said.
The officials recorded the incident via OB 31/8/3/17, he complained that the sentry at county government headquarters did not come to their rescue.
The health workers said they felt slighted that people in government could hire youths to beat professionals in the health sector.
They called on police to offer them protection during their next demo on Monday.
The medics, under the auspices of Kenya Health Profession Society, said only four of the 18 cadres had been considered when the government allocated the allowances.