Man’s Safaricom boycott lands him in court trouble
A man facing arson charges left a Molo court in stitches on Wednesday when he said he could not reach his lawyer because he threw away his Safaricom SIM card after heeding boycott calls by Nasa.
Nicodemus Tiwai had been detained on November 6 after Chief Magistrate Samuel Wahome found him in contempt of the court.
“Your client told us that he could not reach you because he had thrown away his Safaricom line as advised by Mr Raila Odinga,” said Mr Wahome while addressing Mr Tiwai’s advocate.
The magistrate said the accused had been remanded for two days to teach him a lesson.
The advocate, Mr Motanya Onyancha asked for forgiveness on behalf of his client, amidst laughter from the court.
“His claim might be true because I have been trying to reach him and his Safaricom line is off,” Mr Onyancha told the court.
He said his client had promised to get a new phone number and would be in contact with his advocate.
Mr Tiwai, who was out on bond, is facing arson charges and was supposed to have his case heard on November 6 when the drama unfolded.
Mr Wahome set January 29 as the new hearing date and released Mr Tiwai.