Eight tips to hit it off with his mother
The one relationship that the Nairobi man values most is the one he has with his mother. His mother is the most important person in his life.
This means that if the two are going to have a progressive relationship, you will need to learn to get along with her. Here are a few tips;
1. Compliment, compliment, compliment – This, unlike flattery, will get you all the way into her heart. The trick is to be honest. Find out the one thing that she is good at, the one thing that she does better than anyone else and compliment her for it.
2. Bring a gift – When you are going to meet his mother, bring her something. It doesn’t need to be something expensive. No, do not be afraid of looking as if you are trying to bribe her. It will just show her that you know how to socialize.
3. Shared interests – It is up to you to go out of your way to find out the things that his mother is interested in. Dig until you find any interests that the two of you share. This will make for good conversations.
4. Her awesome son – The one thing that you already know about her is that both of you love her son. Talk about that. Talk to her about how awesome he is and then watch as she warms up to you.
5. Don’t talk about family problems – When you talk about family problems with his mother, you may imagine that you are helping. The truth is that nothing good can come out of it. Steer off these conversations until after you and him are married.
6. Ask her about herself – This is the easiest way to get on anyone’s good side, including your mother in law. When you get to meet her, instead of talking about only yourself, ask her about herself. Yes, she is curious about you but she will like you better if you are interested in her as well.
7. Ask her for advice – When you ask her for advice, she will interpret it to mean that you look up to her and that you respect her. That is a very good starting point.
8. Be attentive – This means being present when with her. Pay attention to the things she likes and things she doesn’t. Remember these things.