Eight surprising health benefits of kissing
By NAIROBI NEWS REPORTER
We know that it is a physical expression of love. What you might not know is that kissing is good for your health. Here’s a look into some of the health benefits of kissing;
1. Fighting cavities – When you kiss, the amount of saliva in your mouth increases. This saliva washes away the plaque on your teeth which is responsible for cavities. The minerals in saliva also help rebuild the tooth enamel. You however need to make sure that the person you are kissing has good oral hygiene because cavity causing bacteria can be passed on through kissing. While it is an effective cleanser, kissing shouldn’t be used as a replacement for brushing your teeth.
2. Boosting self-esteem – Kissing usually leads the body to release happy hormones. It makes you feel better about yourself. This leads to an elevated self-esteem. A high self-esteem is a crucial part of good mental health.
3. Lowers blood pressure – Kissing will help dilate the blood vessels. This in turn reduces blood pressure. It does this by revving up your heart beat and giving your heart a work out. After this, your heart works better.
4. It burns calories – Passionate kissing accompanied by lovemaking burns up calories. The secret is that you need to be engaged. When you kiss, the heart beats faster. This helps the release of adrenaline in the body which in return speeds up metabolism. Yes, kissing will help you lose those extra inches on your waistline. Experts estimate that a minute of kissing can burn anywhere between 2 and 6 calories.
5. It boosts your immunity – When you swap saliva with your significant other during a kiss, you also swipe germs. When this happens, the body builds up antibodies against the new germs that it has been exposed to thus creating immunity. In short, kissing is a form of natural vaccination. That said, kissing can also transmit certain illnesses like the flu and cold sores.
6. Lowers stress – Kissing leads the body to release the happy hormone, oxytocin. After a make out session, you feel on top of the world. These feelings are natural antidepressants as the lower the body’s production of the stress hormone cortisol.
7. Gives you a facelift – Deep kissing will effectively tone up your neck and your jawline. The mouth is connected to over 30 facial muscles which when you kiss are worked out and toned. This keeps the muscles smooth and tight and prevents your cheeks from sagging. Couples that kiss regularly always look much younger than they are.
8. Natural pain relief – Yes, kissing will effectively rid you of that nagging headache or those menstrual cramps. Kissing releases natural chemicals in the body known as endorphins. These are a powerful pain relief. More powerful than the pain relief morphine.