Team to probe baby’s death at Mama Lucy hospital starts work
Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero has unveiled a team to investigate the death of three-month-old Dominic Wayne Otieno at Mama Lucy Hospital.
The baby died last week on Wednesday after waiting for five hours for an ambulance.
The task force is led by Nairobi County Public Service Board chairman Philip Kungu.
It will investigate the incident and submit its report in 14 days.
Dominic Wayne Otieno died because there was no ambulance to take him to Kenyatta National Hospital, just 15 kilometers away.
The 11 month-old baby had been diagnosed with complicated meningitis and the doctor had referred the case to Kenyatta National Hospital for Intensive Care Unit (ICU) care.
The baby’s father, Mr Gerald Juma, said he will sue the hospital over negligence.
Mr Kungu and his team visited the hospital on Thursday and they will make recommendations, interventions and long term solutions to be undertaken by the county government to avert similar occurrences in all the level 4 hospitals in Nairobi.
“The investigations will review processes, systems and resources related to running of our major public health institutions and focus on prompt accident and emergency response,”said Mr Kungu.
“We will have to interrogate everybody who was involved in the treatment including the family to get their side of the story,” he said.