Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Kidero suspends demolition of condemned buildings

Nairobi Governor Dr Evans Kidero on Saturday suspended the ongoing demolition of condemned buildings in Nairobi for seven days to allow tenants to find alternative housing.

At the same time, the Governor said the three adjacent buildings to the one that collapsed and killed more than 40 people will be brought down.

A spot check by Nairobi News on Saturday revealed that most of the tenants in the said buildings were busy looking for alternative places to spend the night.

Ministry of Public Works had issued a demolition notice to all the unsafe residential houses earmarked for demolition.

Members of the Kenya Red Cross display two chicken and duck that were rescued from debris in Huruma. PHOTO | EVANS HABIL
Members of the Kenya Red Cross display two chicken and duck that were rescued from debris in Huruma. PHOTO | EVANS HABIL

On Friday bulldozers and other heavy machinery started bringing down buildings adjacent the ill-fated one as police controlled crowds.

Residents who had not heeded a notice by the Ministry of Public Works on Wednesday to vacate the condemned buildings did so in haste.

Meanwhile, three more bodies were found at the site on Saturday bringing the death toll to 49.

Earlier on, there was a sense of hope after a turkey, two ducks, a hen, a cockerel and a cat were rescued from the rubble of the collapsed building. The rescue team said it was a sign of life.