Kidero now reads the riot act to striking doctors in Nairobi
Nairobi county government has threatened to sack all striking doctors who will not have resumed work by Friday.
The Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero on Tuesday said that the doctors had already received letters to show cause why their services should not be terminated.
The county has 124 doctors who downed their tools in demand of a 300 per cent salary increment as the CBA signed in 2013 stipulates.
Speaking in Mathare, Dr Kidero said that the doctors who fail to resume work by the end of the week will face a probable dismissal and their jobs advertised for replacement.
Dr Kidero has effected a disciplinary action by not paying the striking doctors their salaries for December.
“Why pay someone for a job they have not done? We will not pay them and we will by Friday sack them and employ other doctors,” said Dr Kidero.
The governor said that not all doctors in Nairobi participated on the ongoing strike as 54 doctors are running the county hospitals.
Earlier on, the governor said that health services in the county had not been paralysed with them offering over 80 per cent of health services to patients.
However, the dispensaries and the health centres were fully operational as the nurses in the county resumed work following the signing of a return to work formula.
He added that the county plea to the doctors not to participate in the nationwide strike has been futile despite a court order and a return to work formula signed last year by the county and them.