Sauti Sol tops Kenyan artistes’ popularity rankings
The evolution of Kenyan Music both secular and gospel has over the years reached an all-time high with news hits being released like on a daily basis.
Research 8020 released the list of top 10 Kenyan artistes based on music popularity.
The list reveals a neck-to-neck battle between gospel and secular for music supremacy.
Remarkably, the late gospel artiste Angela Chibalonza, who passed away back in 2007, comes in at number 7, showing how popular her songs are even in death.
Other popular artistes, who didn’t make it into the Top 10 list are the hugely promising Ethic Group of the Lamba Lolo fame, Shiru wa GP, Solomon Mkubwa, Octopizzo and Ruth Wamuyu.
Khaligraph Jones, who is riding high with one hit single after another, was ranked number 17 with Jaguar coming in at number 16.
Bahati, who is Willy Paul’s biggest rival in the Kenyan gospel music industry is at number 20, while King Kaka, who recently released his second album Eastlando Royalty, was ranked at number 33.
Last on the top 50 list is Bruz Newton with his hit track Zigwembe.
Here is the full list:
10. Akothee – Secular – Sweet Love
9. Florence Andenyi – Gospel – Kibali
8. Sanaipei Tande – Secular – Amina
7. Angela Chibalonza – Gospel – Ebenezer
6. Eunice Njeri – Gospel – Nani kama Wewe
5. Otile Brown – Secular – Chaguo la Moyo
4. Nyashinski – Secular – Malaika
3. Mercy Masika – Gospel – Mwema
2. Willy Paul – Gospel – I do
1. Sauti Sol – Secular – Melanin