Nairobi News

HashtagNewsWhat's Hot

How international media reported Riverside terror attack

Kenya was again in the eye of international media as the world watched a suspected terror attack unfold at 14 Riverside in Nairobi on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Media houses around the world camped at the scene as they covered the rescue mission. From BBC, to CNN and New York Times all the major international news networks keenly followed the events.

BBC: Nairobi DusitD2 hotel attacked by suspected militants – Suspected militants have attacked a luxury hotel complex in Nairobi, killing at least 15 people. The compound in the Westlands district of the Kenyan capital, which houses the DusitD2 hotel as well as offices, was attacked by gunmen on Tuesday. By the evening officials said the siege was over but gunfire and explosions were heard early on Wednesday and a security operation is ongoing. The Somalia-based militant group al-Shabab said it was behind the attack.

The Independent: Nairobi attack: At least 14 killed after explosions and gunfire at luxury hotel in Kenya capital – At least 14 people have died in an apparent terrorist attack in Nairobi Kenya. The al-Shabaab Islamist group claimed its fighters were responsible for explosions and gunfire at the DusitD2 hotel complex on Tuesday. Police said the attack had begun with an explosion in the hotel car park and a suicide bombing in the foyer leaving a number of guests with severe injuries. Kenya’s interior minister said shortly before 11pm local time that all buildings affected by the attack had been cleared by security forces.

The Telegram: Kenya attack: At least six killed in Nairobi hotel complex terror siege – Islamist terrorists detonated explosives and fired automatic weapons as they mounted a deadly attack on a hotel and business complex frequented by Westerners in Nairobi on Tuesday. Six people have been confirmed killed in the attack, while a Kenyan police officer told reporters 15 bodies had been taken to the mortuary. A mortuary worker added that identification papers indicated that 11 were Kenyan, one was American and one was British, while the other two did not have documents on them. Nationalities of the dead remain unconfirmed. Hundreds more remained trapped inside buildings 16 hours after the attack began.

Aljazeera: Kenya attack leaves 14 dead; siege over, says president – Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said all the gunmen behind Nairobi hotel complex attack have been killed and the 19-hour hostage crisis is over. In a national television address, Kenyatta said on Wednesday 14 civilians died in the attack claimed by the al-Shabab armed group. The president said more than 700 civilians were evacuated from the complex.

CNN: At least 11 dead in attack at Nairobi hotel complex, as evacuations continue – An evacuation of a hotel complex in the Kenyan capital Nairobi is still ongoing, hours after suspected Islamist extremists launched an attack killing at least 11 people, including a US citizen. Tuesday’s coordinated assault by armed gunmen on the Dusit D2 compound, an upmarket cluster of shops and hotel facilities, represents the most high-profile terror attack in the East African country in several years. Authorities reported that “scores” of Kenyans and foreign nationals had been evacuated from the compound, and that the site had been secured, but sporadic gunfire continued to be heard hours after the all-clear had been given.

CNBC: Gunmen kill 15 in Kenya hotel compound attack claimed by Somali Islamists – Gunmen blasted their way into a hotel and office complex in the Kenyan capital on Tuesday, killing at least 15 people and sending workers diving under desks to escape an attack claimed by Somalia-based Islamist group al Shabaab. More than 12 hours after the assault began at Nairobi’s upscale 14 Riverside Drive complex, bursts of gunfire and blasts were heard in the area, undermining government assurances everything was under control. The shots rang out at around 3:30 am local time (0030 GMT) as a group of around 150 workers was escorted from a building where they had sought refuge.

VOA: At Least Five Dead in Nairobi Hotel Attack – Attackers set off a bomb and opened fire at a hotel complex in Kenya’s capital on Tuesday, leaving at least five people dead. The attack at Nairobi’s Dusit D2 Hotel began around 3:30 pm Tuesday afternoon with a huge explosion outside the property. Gunmen then charged onto the grounds and opened fire. Witnesses reported seeing at least five bodies at the site of the upscale complex, which includes a hotel, a restaurant, shops and offices. One witness, Duran Farah, told VOA that he saw “many people injured.”

The New York Times: Shabab Claim Responsibility for Deadly Assault on Nairobi Hotel-Office Complex – Assailants identified as Shabab militants attacked a Nairobi luxury hotel and office complex on Tuesday, spreading death and panic as the police in Kenya’s capital evacuated civilians and sealed off the area. President Uhuru Kenyatta said on Wednesday that at least 14 people were killed in the assault, during which one of Nairobi’s most secure areas was punctuated by gunfire and explosions.