Nairobi News

Must Read

Idris Elba roasted for exposing wife to coronavirus during announcement – VIDEO

Hollywood actor Idris Elba on Monday faced a backlash from his followers online moments after announcing that he had tested positive for coronavirus.

Elba, 47, through Twitter, shared a video with his wife Sabrina Dhowre, beside him. He said his test results showed that he had contracted the virus after getting into contact with some people who had also tested positive. He added that his wife had yet to get tested, which left many of his followers wondering why he recorded the with her if she had not been tested.

He neither wore a mask nor kept the social distance of at least one metre.

Ironically, he encouraged people watching to practise social distancing and be diligent about hand washing, emphasising the point that there are asymptomatic people are out there, like himself.

He said he felt okay and had not exhibited any symptoms of the illness even though he had been quarantined.

“This morning I tested positive for Covid-19. I feel ok, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus.”

No panic

He urged people to stay home and be pragmatic. “I will keep you updated on how I’m doing. No panic,”

“So far, we’re feeling OK. Stay positive and don’t freak out.”

Elba’s announcement came as the UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock on Monday confirmed that 55 people who tested positive in the country for the virus have died.

Elba joins a growing list of celebrities in the entertainment industry who have been contracted the disease.

They include Hollywood spouse Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, Ukraine-born actress and model Olga Kurylenko, and Universal Music chairman and CEO Lucian Grainge.

Here are some thoughts from his followers who did not agree with him for sharing his status while his wife was next to him.