Why government may block Nyamweya from FKF elections
The government could bar current football administrators from holding office in future unless they register the Football Kenya Federation under the Sports Act.
“They (FKF) have picked the registration forms but are yet to return them. They have until the end of this month (October) to comply with the Sports Act 2013, else we as Government will not work with them,” Sports Cabinet Secretary Hassan Wario said on Sunday evening during a live interview on national television.
This development comes barely a week after Mr Wario announced government’s intent to take over the running of the national football team.
This follows what he said was a public outcry over the way Harambee Stars has been managed in the past few years, with delay in payments of allowances and bills a “common occurrence”.
The cabinet secretary also confirmed in the interview that the government has written to Fifa over an array of contentious issues relating to the forthcoming national football elections.
The issues were spelt out to the CS during a stakeholders meeting last week.
The meeting was organised by the Government and attended by top football officials in the country including election aspirants, but snubbed by FKF President Sam Nyamweya, his Deputy Robert Asembo and CEO Micheal Esakwa.