Government evacuates stranded Kenyans from Oman
The government has come to the rescue of a Kenyan who was recently conned into a non existent job offer in the Middle East.
The victim who spoke to Nairobi News on condition of ff the record, revealed he was forced to part with Sh60,000 for facilitation fee, plus an air ticket to Oman.
He added that desperation after failing to land a formal job since graduating from college four years ago led him to try his luck abroad.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Trade announced on Friday it had helped ‘evacuate’ nine Kenyans who were stranded in Oman.
The Ministry also urged all Kenyans promised job offers to confirm the same through the Director, Diaspora Directorate via [email protected]
“I was referred to an agency in Nairobi by a friend who has previously worked in Saudi Arabia but returned home recently,” said the victim.
“They asked me to process the passport and Yellow Fever certificate and then helped me get a Visa. I paid Sh60,000 which they claimed would help buy an air ticket back home in the event I was stranded,” the victim said.
“One of them even took me to the airport but on reaching Oman, I was informed that the company I was asking for doesn’t exist. I was instead offered the job of a watchman with very little pay, of about Sh45,000 a month. I didn’t take up the offer and that’s when I opted to inform my family members back home.”