Fire destroys fifty houses in Huruma
As other Kenyans were celebrating Christmas, residents of Cassanova in Huruma estate were counting losses after a huge fire broke out early Wednesday morning.
Affected residents suspect that one of the tenants had left an electric water heater in a basin and forgot to switch it off during a power outage at 9pm on Tuesday night.
When power was restored, the heater burnt through the plastic basin causing the fire that destroyed over forty houses and damaged property of an unknown value.
By the time firefighters arrived, the fire had gutted 50 houses leaving dozens of families out in the cold.