Eastleigh gang told to surrender
Newly appointed Nairobi Metropolitan Police chief Francis Munyambu has told members of the Superpower gang that has been terrorising residents in Eastleigh to surrender or face full force of the law.
Mr Munyambo, a former Central PPO, was recently appointed by Governor Evans Kidero to head the county’s security department in the city.
“I call upon the gang leaders to cooperate with us, we will also cooperate with them in peace building,” he said.
The police chief was reacting to a story that appeared in Tuesday’s Daily Nation showing how the gang has dominated in criminal activities in Eastleigh.
The knife-wielding gang has been attacking businesses and individuals with impunity mostly at dawn and dusk.
In the latest incident, more than 20 people were at the weekend held hostage before being robbed of their phones, jewelry and cash.
“We were heading to the mosque when we met 10 Somali youths.
They rounded us up and ordered us to place our phones, cash and other valuables,” said one of the victims, who requested anonymity for security reasons.
Kidero had earlier stated that the new County Police boss would oversee all security loopholes in the city after the Westgate attack in which 70 people died.
“We want to make Nairobi a city that guarantees safety for all, and I am confident if the residents also help us in feeding us with information,” Kidero said.
Interim County Secretary Lillian Ndegwa said Mr Munyambu will also oversee the recent installation CCTV cameras.
“We have shared with him our vision on security and has assured us that he will perform to his best,” Mrs Ndegwa said.
Recently, members of one of the gangs fighting for control of the Dandora dumpsite surrendered five guns to police in a deal brokered by Senator Mike Sonko.
The gunmen said they had been using the weapons to protect “their sections” of the site.
Nairobi police boss Benson Kibue had earlier said they were impressed by the decision of the gang members, most of whom are street children, to hand in the arms.
The move comes days after a member of one of the gangs was killed and several others injured in a clash between two rival gangs fighting to control the landfill.