Ruto speaks about the siege at his home – VIDEO
Deputy President William Ruto has said that the attack on his Sugoi home was aimed at causing disunity among Kenyans.
Speaking on Sunday to faithful at Ihura stadium in Murang’a, the DP told Kenyans to remain united.
“I know many people are aware that I had visitors yesterday… but I want to say that those who think they will frustrate our unity or undermine our progress will not succeed,” he said during the installation of Bishop Timothy Gichere as head Mount Kenya Central diocese.
“I want to ask all of us not be distracted by the schemes and designs of people who are against our unity and progress as a country,” he said.
On Saturday, Inspector-General of Police Joseph Boinnet said that an intruder attacked a police officer manning the gate to the home, gaining entry, then accessing firearms in the armoury box.
In response, officers from the elite Recce Squad laid a 20-hour siege to flash out the attacker.
On Sunday morning, Rift Valley Regional Coordinator Wanyama Musiambo said that casualties of the operation include the assailant, who was shot dead, and two police officers.
The intruder killed one officer and injured the other, who is recuperating in hospital.
“The gunman was using different guns to confuse security forces that they were many,” Mr Musiambo said, adding that security had been restored at the residence.
Additionally, Mr Boinnet said in press conference on Sunday that the intruder was not able to breach the inner gate that leads to the main residence.
“The intruder breached the outer gate, and not the inner gate, which is under tight security, that leads to the residence,” he said, adding that investigations into the identity and motive of the intruder are ongoing.
He also assured Kenyans of their safety, urging them to stay alert and report suspicious activities.
During the attack at the home in Uasin Gishu County, Mr Ruto was campaigning in Kitale County; also his family was not in the premises.
The DP urged Kenyans to remain united and peaceful, and support President Uhuru Kenyatta’s re-election.
He also urged candidates vying for seats in the August 8 elections to accept the outcome.