Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Buses not screening passengers in wake of attacks

Most matatu operators in the city are not screening passengers boarding their vehicles, barely a day after twin blasts ripped through two commuter buses.

A spot check by Nairobi News on bus termini within the city centre showed that only few bus saccos are using metal detectors to frisk their passengers.

At the Mwi-sacco termini, complacent operators were not screening their passengers despite one of their buses being targeted in the Sunday blast.

Buses plying the Githurai 45 and 44 routes were also not screening their passengers either.

At the General Post Office terminal, City Hopper and Kenya Bus Service screened passengers boarding their buses.

City Hopper staff  used a metal detector, while KBS  staff conducted the search using bare hands.

Chairman of Matatu Owners Association Simon Kimutai said the saccos will comply with time because the directive had just been issued.

“A metal detector costs only Ksh 2,500 and this will be purchased in bulk by all saccos with time as the instructions were just given on Sunday evening when shops had already closed,” said Mr Kimutai.

He added that the association has also recommended that passengers line up in all termini to allow for screening.

“Let all passengers board matatus at the designated termini to ensure order as they board so that security precautions can be taken,” said Mr Kimutai.

Police spokesperson Zipporah Mboroki on Sunday instructed all saccos to screen passengers and luggage to help curb insecurity.