Nairobi News

CampaignsState of roads

Shame of city’s Luthuli Avenue despite going through major facelift


The reconstructed Luthuli Avenue in Nairobi, which was supposed to be reopened to motorists and other road users in June, is in a sorry state.

The upgrade of Luthuli Avenue was scheduled to end six months ago, but works are still ongoing.

A spot check by Nairobi News on Wednesday revealed that the road, on which Nairobi County had partnered with World Bank to convert into a one-way street, was peeling off with pools of stagnant water.

The upgrade was almost complete in May before engineers suddenly noticed that they had ‘forgotten’ to improve its drainage system.

According to City Hall, the road had been envisaged as a legacy project during the first session of the UN-Habitat held in Nairobi in May. The county government allocated it Sh24 million in the joint project.

Roads Executive Hitan Majevdia said Luthuli got priority as it is one of the city’s most populated and busiest avenues.

ONE-WAY STREET

Speaking during the launch of the project, Governor Mike Sonko said it was part of his administration’s vision for vibrant spaces in the central business district (CBD).

He pointed out that many traders, especially shop owners, had complained that their business entrances were always blocked by public service vehicles.

“We decided to make it a one-way street so the business community can operate well. They, too, are taxpayers and we can’t allow obstruction of people’s businesses,” the governor said.

He added that the project would be replicated on other roads within the CBD that is heavily congested and a security threat.

The project arose from a feasibility study and was recommended by the United Nations two years ago.