Nairobi News

HashtagNewsWhat's Hot

Buruburu Girls closed following fire in hostels

Buruburu Girls High School has been closed indefinitely following Sunday’s fire incident that left 59 students hospitalized.

The school’s Board of Management made the decision to close the school after a meeting with parents.

The board’s chairman, Mr Chairman Lazarus Opicho said the school will allow the students to go home for a few days as investigations commence to know the cause of the fire.

“Parents will be allowed to go home with the girls and the date when they are supposed to come back will be communicated. Any girl who will be found to be involved in the fire incident will face the law,” he said.

While giving an update of the conditions of those who are admitted, Mr Opicho, said so far 19 girls are admitted at the Metropolitan hospital and while 16 others are being treated at Jamaa Hospital. “All are in stable condition but one has fractured her leg,” he added.

According to the school management, the fire started at a cubicle in the Kingdom dormitory with reports that there had been warnings from unnamed students that they will torch the school.

The fire is reported to have nearly reduced one of the 45 cubicles that houses students from different classes to ashes.

The board said that students will only be permitted to leave in the company of their parents or guardians.

Those whose parents will not make it, their children will remain in school under tight security.

The school’s Principal Caroline Maina did not address the parents in the meeting after the parents accused her of downplaying the incident.

Soon after the fire broke out, several parents arrived at the school and demanded to be allowed to take their children home, leading to a standoff.

One parent who spoke to Nairobi News said she rushed to the school but was yet to get the details of what transpired.

“All we want is to see our children and make sure they are not injured. Why are they locking us out yet there has been an incident?” she wondered.

Another parent said she learnt of the incident through a viral video clip on social media that showed the students jumping from the third floor of a dormitory.

“No one is telling us anything and that is why we want to be allowed to go home with our children,” said yet another parent.

Buruburu sub-county police boss, Mr Francis Kamau, confirmed that the fire started around 5pm and was later contained.

“We are yet to establish the cause of the fire but we have commenced investigations into the incident,” he said.

The cause of the fire is yet to be known.