Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Fire breaks out at city centre building

A huge fire destroyed the second floor of Elite Plaza on Kimathi street on Wednesday morning.

The scene of the fire on Kimathi street. PHOTO | NAIROBI NEWS
The scene of the fire on Kimathi street. PHOTO | NAIROBI NEWS

The fire was caused by a leaking gas cylinder that was being used by one of the eateries in the building.

The fire consumed a big part second floor.

The floor houses eateries, computer stalls and shops selling clothes.

City Star restaurant, which is located on first floor, was not  affected by the fire.

The building was evacuated by city fire brigade, including the Co-operative bank Kimathi street branch that is located on the ground floor.

Adjacent buildings, including Nation Centre, were also evacuated until the fire was contained.

Workers on the affected floor were evacuated through the windows.