8 most bizarre witchcraft-related cases in Kenya – VIDEOS and PHOTOS
Witchcraft or black magic, if you like, is as popular as it is controversial even in Kenya with people claiming to be victims or beneficiaries of sorcery.
A month hardly passes before a bizarre case is reported in the media. Most of these cases involve theft, infidelity or a change of fortune.
Curiously, most of the so called witch doctors and magicians lead poor lives themselves.
Here are 8 bizarre cases that have been in the media recently.
1. Woman seeking husband – This video that was widely circulated on social media around new Year is perhaps what jump started a series of bizarre case of witch craft that have been witnessed this year.
In the hilarious video, a woman was demanding a refund from a witch doctor who failed to secure a husband for her in 2016 even after she met all sorts of strange requirements from the witch doctor.
The husband-seeking woman, said she was tired of waiting because it had taken long for her to get hitched with a stern warning to the witch doctor to refund her money.
2. Cockerel and bar – In mid July a bar owner in Nyeri caused panic after he hired a cock from a witch doctor to guard his premises, which had been broken into more than three times.
Villagers had lamented of a surge in numbers of theft and killings in the area. The owner of the bar gave the thieves days to return the loot stolen from his pub in Mathira constituency or they would die.
The bird remained perched on the rooftop of the pub for days and had been going round the roof of the pub in clockwise direction.
3. Car and bees – The previous month, a suspected car thief in Bungoma ran into a police station and surrendered himself after he was attacked by a swarm of bees, which only left him after a witch doctor performed a ritual.
The suspect had allegedly drugged the car owner before driving off to an unknown destination. At the police station, the middle-aged Ugandan, kept groaning in pain and moving in circles as the bees stung him.
4. Genitals ‘move’ to knees – This could perhaps rank as the most startling incident of witch craft in recent times. In late December 2016, the media reported a strange case in which a man’s genitalia mysteriously shifted to his knees after he reportedly slept with another man’s wife. Photos of the unidentified man made rounds on social media for a while and the victim is said to have latter sought forgiveness.
5. Man gets stuck in the ‘honeypot’ – Just like the man whose genitalia’s shifted, this other man found himself an equally agonizing predicament after he got stuck while having sex with his sister-in-law at a lodging in Nakuru town in this incident that happened early June.
After enjoying a night of steamy sex, things suddenly turned traumatic for the two lovebirds when they attempted to disengage.
Cries from the distressed relatives-turned-sweethearts prompted attendants at the facility to break the door of the hotel room open. The two were entwined on bed while screaming in pain.
The stuck couple got a reprieve when the man’s wife, who was among the eye witnesses at the scene, asked the responsible witch doctor to ‘unlock’ them.
6. Matatu driver and married woman – Some time in May 2016, there was a similar case in Tharaka-Nithi County where a would be night of unrestrained passion in the backseat of a matatu turned into a nightmare for two lovebirds. The matatu driver and his lover were found stuck in the morning inside the matatu by a curious passerby who heard unusual murmuring and moans inside the matatu parked along the road.
7. ‘Captured’ by snake – Then there was also this case last month in Malaba where a man was ‘captured’ by a snake for allegedly stealing a bag.
The owner of the bag is said to have hired a female witch doctor from Uganda. The man walked with the snake just inches from his face and he held it by its neck.
The man was sprayed some greenish liquid by the witch doctor using her mouth and immediately, the man fell on his knees and the snake slithered from his body into a black bag.
8. Snake, car and naked men – This is the latest in the series of strange witch craft related stories in Kenya. Two men, suspected of stealing a car, stripped naked while singing, dancing and talking in ‘tongues’ next the vehicle in an early morning incident that shocked residents of Mombasa.
One of the men even had a snake dangling around his neck and at some point the two started ‘washing’ the car with mud. The bizarre spectacle ended after the two men were arrested and taken to a police station.