Nairobi News

Police find more guns, bullets in Muthaiga home of lawyer who shot son

City detectives have found more firearms and bullets during a search in the home of a lawyer who ‘accidentally’ shot his son near their house in Muthaiga North.

The search on Monday unearthed two guns and 471 rounds of ammunition kept in different rooms in the house.

According to police, a pistol was found inside a safe in one bedroom and a shotgun found in a shoe rack in the library.

Also found were 285 rounds of 9mm, 47 rounds of .357 of 12 gauge, a black holster and a firearms certificate bearing the lawyer’s name.

Lawyer Assa Nyakundi Kibagendi surrendered to police on Sunday and has since been kept under custody. He is being treated as a suspect in the death of his 29-year-old son Joseph Nyakundi.

FRESH DETAILS

Fresh details have emerge as police continue to piece evidence on the circumstance of the death.

Police say the suspect’s pistol was fired twice and not once as had earlier been reported. The pistol was also found to have been loaded with 13 rounds of ammunition and not 14 as earlier thought.

An inspection of the lawyer’s motor vehicle found one spent cartridge under the mat of the front passenger seat. A bullet head was also found in the boot.

Blood stains were found on the upper left side of the back seat with a bullet hole visible on the seat.

The lawyer had earlier told police that he was trying to holster his firearm while in his car when he accidentally fired, shooting his son inside the car. He rushed his son to Aga Khan Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The lawyer is currently admitted at Nairobi hospital under police guard after suffering blood pressure complications while in police custody.

Police have submitted the firearms certificates and identification card to the Firearms Licensing Board for verification.

Teenager stabs his mother’s ‘lover’ to death, goes missing

Police in Kericho county have launched a manhunt for a Form One student who killed a man suspected to be having a love affair with his mother.

According to a neighbor,  the boy broke into the house where his mother and the man were holed up on Monday night and repeatedly stabbed him on the chest using a Somali sword.

The incident happened at Ririat village in Cheborgei location, Bureti sub-county.

The deceased, a 65-year-old man, collapsed and died outside the home as he tried to flee.

Neighbors who heard a commotion rushed to the scene and found the man in a pool of blood. He died shortly afterwards.

It is believed the boy was irked that the man had been visiting his mother, a widow, on several occasions at their home at night.

The boy’s father died a few years ago according to family members.

Area Chief Anderson Rotich said the boy went underground immediately after committing the offense at around 10 pm on Monday.

Mr Rotich said the woman has since recorded a statement with the police following the incident.

The body of the deceased was moved to Kapkatet sub-county referral hospital to await postmortem before it is released to the family for burial.

Police storm Barclays Bank branch in search of fake currency syndicate

Police in Nairobi have stormed a bank in the city centre in search of fake currency.

Detectives from Flying Squad and the Directorate of Criminal Investigations stormed into Barclays Bank, Queensway branch, located on Mama Ngina Street at 1pm on Tuesday.

The fake currency is estimated to be worth Ksh17 billion. The fake currency is in US dollars.

Flying Squad boss Musa Yego has confirmed the operation.

Three Kenyan suspects and a foreigner have been arrested

Barclays Bank has confirmed the incident in its Queensway branch.

Nema now slaps ban on ‘Uhuru’ bags

The National Environment Management Authority (Nema) has slapped a ban on non-woven bags.

The non-woven bags, introduced in 2017 after the ban on plastic, were initially deemed to be eco-friendly. The market has however been flooded with low quality versions which the authority says can not be used multiple times and are disposed after single use.

In a notice on local dailies on Tuesday, Nema asked traders to halt manufacturing, importation, supply, distribution and use of non-woven polypropylene bags from March 31, 2019.

“Until the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KeBS) gazettes a standard that will inform the quality of non-woven bags needed in the Kenyan market, this single-usage of these bags will eventually lead to heavy environmental consequences due to poor disposal practices currently being experienced in the country coupled with the lack of requisite infrastructure to sustainably manage these bags,” read part of the statement.

Failure to comply will attract a fine of not less than Sh2 million and not more than Sh4 million, or imprisonment of a term of not less than one year but not more than four years or to both..

The Environment Ministry had in August 2017 banned the use, manufacturing and importation of plastic bags used for commercial and house hold packaging.

The non-woven bags, christened Uhuru bags, were preferred as an alternative.

County govt turns to witchcraft to deal with thieves

Tharaka-Nithi county government has resorted to the Ameru traditional means of punishing criminals and recovering stolen goods.

After unknown people vandalized Kiamurukima community borehole and stole solar panels that pumps water from underground, county spokesperson Paul Mwabu led a group of elders to invoke the dreaded curse locally known as Nduuka.

The curse is only administered by elderly men who have stopped bearing children and is conducted in the bush away from villages.

PARAPHERNALIA

Mr Mwabu, who served as Tharaka-Nithi County Assembly Deputy Speaker and Marimanti ward MCA, arrived at the scene accompanied by elders who carried a pot (referred as devil’s pot) full of paraphernalia including a bird’s nest known as Ngoco in local dialect, pieces of broken pot, goat horns among other stuff.

The elders proceeded with the ritual that lasted hours as they offered burnt sacrifices to appease the gods so that they can “come to their aid”.

The elders declared the suspected thieves as enemies of the community who were supposed to either die or become mad and walk away from the village to live in the wilderness.

“The thieves are enemies of the community and should not live amongs us,” the elders frequently restated as they continued with the ritual.

After completing the ritual, the elders promised that in a few days, the missing items would be found or the thieves become mad and announce in public that they were the criminals.

PANELS RECOVERED

Surprisingly, few hours after the elders finished with the ritual, three out of the lost five panels were recovered near Gacooroni market, some kilometers away.

In 2016, Mr Mwabu led elders in conducting a similar exercise after some boxes full of witchcraft-like paraphernalia were found dumped in several primary schools in Tharaka constituency.

When Mr Mwabu invoked the Nduuka curse, it was reported that the vehicle used to ferry the counter boxes mysteriously caught fire at Ndagani market near Chuka University and burnt completely.

David Ndii speaks on joining Uhuru cabinet

Renowned economist David Ndii has explained why he cannot accept the position of Treasury Cabinet Secretary, even if it was offered to him by President Uhuru Kenyatta.

Dr Ndii said he had learnt from the predicaments of John Githongo, who was forced into exile in 2004 after attempting to fight corruption in the Narc administration.

His comment was prompted by a Twitter user who recommended that Treasury CS Henry Rotich be sacked and the job given to Dr Ndii.

“Replacing Treasury CS with @DavidNdii can help govt not to continue making mistakes. I strongly believe we need an individual who understands Public Finance at a powerful ministry like Treasury. Treasury and KRA should work closely in budgeting too,” wrote Barongo M. Haron.

But the economist retorted: “Short story. My fren @johngithongo calls in my house one morning in 2003. He’d been asked to become Kibaki’s anti-graft czar. We debate and agree he accept. To cut a long story short, he ends up in exile, a kikuyu traitor, living with bodyguards for years. Not boarding.”

Dr Githongo was appointed the Permanent Secretary for Governance and Ethics in January 2003 by president Kibaki, who had been elected on an anti-corruption platform.

He quit on February 7, 2005, while in the United Kingdom after facing resistance and threats from power government officials implicated in the multi-billing-shilling Anglo-Leasing scandal.

Germans angry as Ozil invites Turkey president to wedding

Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil has sparked a storm with his choice of guests for his wedding scheduled to be held later this year.

According to media reports, German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s chief of staff has joined the growing chorus of criticism after the left-footed star player reportedly invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erodogan to his wedding as a witness.

The 30-year old Ozil, who has Turkish family roots, sparked controversy last May when he was photographed with President Erodogan. The picture raised questions about the footballer’s loyalty to Germany on the eve of their disastrous World Cup campaign.

After 92 appearances for Germany, including a key role in the 2014 World Cup victory, Ozil suddenly quit the national team squad last July, accusing German football officials of racism.

WEDDING WITNESS

Germany’s tabloid Bild reported this week that Ozil and his model fiancee Amine Gulse, 25, a former Miss Turkey, personally presented an invitation card to President Erdogan in Istanbul.

The invite immediately drew sharp criticism in Germany, whose government has been sharply at odds with Ankara over a range of human rights questions in recent years.

“The fact that this has continued will have disappointed a lot of football fans – me too!” said Helge Braun, Merkel’s Chief of Staff.

“Footballers are symbolic figures in our society with whom people identify with much more than ministers.”

Ozil has dated Gulse since 2017 and the couple announced their engagement in June 2018.

VIDEO: Police hunt for foreigner filmed brandishing gun at Kileleshwa guard

Police in Nairobi are looking for a foreigner caught on tape brandishing a pistol at a security guard in Kileleshwa over a parking spot row.

The foreigner was part of a group of visitors at an apartment block in Kileleshwa on Saturday.

They had insisted on parking their white Range Rover registration number KCH 001 V at a spot reserved for tenants despite protests by the security guard.

According to the guard, he had urged them to park at a spot designated for visitors but they refused.

‘BACK IN A FEW MINUTES’

“They came and I showed them a parking spot for visitors but they refused and parked at a tenants’ spot. They said that they will not stay for long and they will be back in a few minutes,” said the guard.

The foreigner even warned that he will push out any car that will block his way.

The guard’s warning came to pass and the foreigner found his car blocked from behind.

“They started insulting me and threatening to kill me and the owner of the car. When I heard them saying they will kill us, I refused to call the owner of the car that had  blocked them,” he adds.

Footage from a CCTV camera mounted on the gate showed one of the visitors throwing an object at the guard’s cubicle. This forced the guard to wield his baton at them, which infuriated the three foreigners more.

DRAW A PISTOL

Soon, one of the visitors is seen drawing out a pistol from his back and brandishing it at the guards who were in their cubicle.

“They said they will kill me and disappear because this is Kenya and no one can do anything to them,” the guard told journalists.

The guard added that the group started clobbering him. The three would later drive out in their car.

The guard has reported the incident at Kileleshwa police station. Police have launched a man hunt for the man who was captured brandishing a gun at the guard.

Police want to establish the identity of the man and whether he is a licensed gun holder.

#WeCannotIgnore: Kenyans put Jubilee on the spot over hunger crisis

Kenyans have put the Jubilee regime on the spot as hunger ravages people in Arid and Semi-Arid Land (ASAL) counties in the countries.

An estimated 1.1 million Kenyans are facing starvation in Samburu, Marsabit, Garissa, Isiolo, Mandera, Wajir, Baringo, Kilifi, Tana River, West Pokot, Makueni, Kajiado, and Kwale.

On Monday, after days of denial, the government announced a Sh2 billion funding to facilitate ongoing food relief programs and water trucking in the 13 counties.

Food security is among President Uhuru Kenyatta’s big four agenda for the second term and on social media platforms, Kenyans are telling him enough is enough.

The hashtag #WeCannotIgnore has been trending on Tuesday.

Here are some of the messages that Kenyans want to reach President Kenyatta’s government.

Moral crusader Ezekiel Mutua falls for a fake ‘sex’ billboard in city

Kenya Films and Classifications Board (KFCB) chief executive Ezekiel Mutua was on Monday left with an egg on his face after falling for a Photoshopped billboard that went viral on social media.

The fake billboard altered a discount campaign by subscription TV service provider Multichoice Kenya.

It contained a derogatory ‘sheng’ slang that loosely refers to sexual intercourse.

Dr Mutua took to social media and rebuked the billboard saying “in the name of creativity, advertisers are sexualising everything under the sun,” adding that “this is unacceptable.”

It turned out there was no such billboard. Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko confirmed as much.

“This is purely Photoshop. I have personally sent my officers to confirm whether the billboard bearing the sexual slang exists. This is what we found out,” said Mr Sonko.

An embarrassed Dr Mutua would later admit that he was wrong after Multichoice Kenya confirmed to him that there was no such billboard in the city.

“Multichoice management has confirmed to me that the poster circulating in social media is fake. There’s no campaign like that by Gotv. Thank you Governor Mike Sonko for your quick action. This is the kind of collaboration we need to protect children from exposure to harmful content. Much appreciated Sir,” he said.