Nairobi News

News

Ads firm wants billboard back to stem losses

An advertising firm wants the county Government ordered to restore its billboard pulled down from Waiyaki Way.

Ikon Print Media company told the court normal business had been affected since the board was demolished in October last year.

Mr Chukwuma Nduche, the general manager claimed a contract was almost “slipping out our hands” as a result.

He made the plea when he testified in a case where the company is seeking among others, Sh42.7 million as restitution and replacement value for the billboard.

“The demolition cost us a lot of financial loss and psychological damage,” Mr Nduche told Justice David Majanja of the High Court.

He denied claims that the firm did not comply with conditions set out by the Kenya National Highways Authority (Kenha) and the county Government, prompting the demolition.

Pull down

On the contrary, he said that Kenha officials oversaw the erection of the gigantic billboard.

“I did not receive any notice of violation of any condition in regard to the billboard,” he said. 

Cabinet Secretary for Infrastructure and Development is also named in the suit as a respondent.

The company also wants orders issued barring the county Government from interfering with its billboards on Mombasa Road, Uhuru highway and at Nyayo Stadium.

Mr Karisa Iha, the county legal affairs director however said the government did not intend to pull down the remaining billboards.

On the morning of October 29, road users woke up to find the huge structure blocking both lanes of Waiyaki Way.

Motorists had to be diverted to alternative routes.