The scene at Thika Superhighway where one of the home-made bombs ripped a commuter bus on May 04, 2014.The scene at Thika Superhighway where one of the home-made bombs ripped a commuter bus on May 04, 2014. By NAIROBI NEWS

Police are holding an 18-year-old man whom they say confessed to planting explosives in matatus that killed three people on the Thika Superhighway.

The suspect is expected to appear in court this week, according to sources in the Anti-Terrorism Police Unit who spoke on condition of anonymity as they are not authorised to talk to the Press.

They said the teenager was traced to Kiamaiko slums by detectives who had visited the scene of the explosion.

According to investigators, the suspect received a deposit of Sh85,000 to carry out the attack and later Sh135,000, which was transferred to his father’s mobile phone from an agent in Moyale.

The suspect has disclosed that he was with an accomplice who is yet to be traced.

Bought Sim cards

The police sources said the attackers bought four Sim cards in Kayole on the fateful day and registered them in a friend’s name.

“He has confessed to being involved in the attack targeting the first bus, which occurred opposite Homeland. His accomplice was involved in the one at the Roysambu underpass,” said a police officer.

The improvised explosive devices (IEDs), according to detectives, were triggered using mobile phones after they had been planted in the two buses.

The detectives said that a Sim card found in the debris led to the manhunt that culminated in the arrest of the suspect’s father.

The father then led the police to his son’s hideout in Kiamaiko slums.

It is unclear whether the father will be prosecuted but police said his phone was used to receive cash from a sponsor, who has been on the terror watch list for a while.