Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has said he will assist in transporting the bodies of the nine Moi Girls School fire incident victims to their various counties.
National Disaster Management Unit (NMDU) deputy director and communication officer Mr Pius Masai, in a press statement to newsrooms on Tuesday, said that Governor Sonko had confirmed that he would help in the transportation of all the bodies to the various counties as per the family plans.
He also said that eight families had been given burial permits except for one remaining body which still has a family dispute between two parties from the maternal and the paternal sides.
Mr Masai added that Mr Sonko further promised to support and personally attend the burials.
“Families have been advised to communicate to the school and participate in the prayer day for the loss of their beloved ones,” said Mr Masai.
He, however, appealed to all learning institutions in the country to implement safety, security and emergency preparedness plans as part of prevention and mitigation measures.
“NDMU appeals to all learning institutions to implement safety, security and emergency preparedness plans as a prevention and mitigation measures. We thank the families and all emergency service providers for their cooperation,” he said.