Jubilee Party vice chairman David Murathe on Monday said he was not out to frustrate Nairobi Senator Mike Sonko but asked him to seek alternatives if he felt he will not get fairness during the nominations.
Mr Murathe also dismissed a demand by Mr Sonko that Peter Kenneth apologises to President Uhuru Kenyatta for refusing to back him in the 2013 General Election.
“The fact is, nobody has any intention to block anyone. The man is very dishonest because he knows that some of us even went out of our way to find out from the DCI (Directorate of Criminal Investigations) why they cleared him to vie (in the past) but are now delaying to do so,” said Mr Murathe.
‘NOTHING STOPS HIM’
The senator had on Thursday last week said he was unable to get a Certificate of Good Conduct from the DCI but later posted a photograph of the document on his Facebook page later that night.
“Nothing stops him from running as an independent candidate,” said Mr Murathe.
With President Kenyatta aware that clean nominations are a major test for the party, everything is being done to ensure they are fair and are credible, said the official.
During an interview on Citizen TV on Sunday, Mr Sonko named Mr Murathe as among individuals who were keen to frustrate his bid. Mr Sonko yesterday apologised for his behaviour and remarks.